Mary Ward's Companions

TERESA BALL

The Irish Branch of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary was founded in 1821 by Mother Teresa Ball, in Dublin, on completion of her religious training at the Bar Convent, Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, York, England. To the first Convent of this new Branch, at Rathfarnham, Dublin, Mother Teresa Ball gave the name 'Loreto' for it was her wish and prayer that the life of the Holy Family might always be an inspiration and an example to the members of the institute.


DELPHINE HART

The first call for the education of girls came from India. Twelve sisters were sent and Mother Delphine Hart, who was only 23, was named Superior of the new community. In 1841, the sisters boarded the ship 'Scotia' and set out for India. Finally, on December 30, 1841, they reached Calcutta and took up residence in Loreto House. A few days later they opened the first Loreto school in India.


  • of Loreto Convent Entally, Kolkata
  • Enter School Code
    'LCSENY'
Sapling Count